Table of Contents
UC Berkeley Astronomy Undergraduate Wiki
Welcome to the Berkeley Astronomy Undergraduate Wiki! This site is run by the undergraduate community of Astrophysics majors here at Cal, who you can find in the Directory. The Wiki is designed to be a resource for current undergraduates, incoming freshmen considering an Astro major, and prospective students who want to learn more about what being an Astro major here is all about. In particular, there is a Curriculum page which summarizes the classes in the Astro major, with descriptions and even some professor reviews. There is also a page dedicated to the important but daunting task of finding research. Please feel free to explore all the Wiki has to offer, and feel free to get in touch with some of the students if you have any other questions!
To access the information in this wiki, you can use the navigation panel to the left, explore the links below, or use the search bar above.
- Curriculum Overview - A fairly comprehensive overview of the major, geared toward incoming or prospective students.
- Major/Minor Info -Information about the majoring, double majoring, and minoring opportunities you have as an astro student.
- Directory - Bio and contact information for the contributors to this wiki- many are open to being asked questions!
- Code Repository - A place for Astro majors to store and share useful codes found or written, pertaining to Astro research
- Undergraduate Research - A current list of available research positions, as well as advice on how to go about picking, applying for, and doing research in the Astro Department at Cal.
- Employment Opportunities - A brief description of paying jobs students can obtain through the Astronomy (or Physics) department.
- The Astro Community - Information about astro-related clubs, colloquia, and other departmental community spaces/activities.
- Graduate School - Advice from now departed undergraduates on applying to and (ideally) getting into graduate school in astronomy.
- Summer Opportunities - Information about astro-related summer opportunities, including research and subject-specific summer schools.
- Why Kartp? - Why do we call this wiki Kartp?
The page is constantly under construction so mistakes are going to happen. If you notice something wrong, edit!
Making an Account
Much of the information on this Wiki is public. However, some pages and the ability to contribute require an account. In order to make an account on this Wiki follow this link. To expedite the process of validating your account, register from a UC Berkeley computer (not Airbears) and please use your real name and UC Berkeley e-mail address. A username which is clearly identifiable with your real name (i.e. alwin.mao) is preferable.
Statement on Diversity
These principles of community for the University of California, Berkeley, are rooted in a mission of teaching, research and public service and are fully upheld by the astronomy department. They reflect our passion for critical inquiry, debate, discovery and innovation, and our deep commitment to contributing to a better world. Every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring and humane environment in which these values can thrive.
- We place honesty and integrity in our teaching, learning, research and administration at the highest level.
- We recognize the intrinsic relationship between diversity and excellence in all our endeavors.
- We affirm the dignity of all individuals and strive to uphold a just community in which discrimination and hate are not tolerated.
- We are committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue that elicits the full spectrum of views held by our varied communities.
- We respect the differences as well as the commonalities that bring us together and call for civility and respect in our personal interactions.
- We believe that active participation and leadership in addressing the most pressing issues facing our local and global communities are central to our educational mission.
- We embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our obligation and goal.
Editing the Wiki
Recently Changed Pages on the Wiki
- community:astrocds by Malena (2017/02/24 05:55)
- directory:index - [Advisors] by Goni Halevi (2017/01/31 05:40)
- wiki:user:goni.halevi by Goni Halevi (2017/01/31 05:36)
- curriculum:samples - [Sample Schedules] by Goni Halevi (2017/01/31 05:27)
- research:index - [Picking a Project] by Goni Halevi (2017/01/31 05:21)
- curriculum:index - [Astro Electives] by Goni Halevi (2016/12/14 18:38)
- community:astronomy_outreach_program_infosession.pptx - created by Malena (2016/04/13 01:11)
- wiki:user:malena_rome.jpg - created by Malena (2016/02/24 05:42)